Homeopathy was introduced in India the early 19th century. It flourished in Bengal at first, and then spread all over India. In the beginning, the system was extensively practised by amateurs in the civil and military services and others. Mahendra Lal Sircar was the first Indian who became a homeopathic physician. A number of allopathic doctors started homeopathic practice following Sircar's lead. The 'Calcutta Homeopathic Medical College', the first homeopathic medical college was established in 1881. This institution took on a .... more>>
 
Dr.(Prof) Madhabananda Saha
MD(Hom) BHMS, Professor
 
     Mahesh Bhattacharyya Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital was initially established by late Dr. Bhola Nath Chakrabarty on March 27, 1967 in the campus of Sankar Math near Ramrajatala, Howrah, named as Shankarmath Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital. It was run by the trustees of the Math, allopathic practitioners, a band of young and energetic homeopathic practitioners and 12 students. It rendered medical services to the weaker section of the society through a charitable OPD in the first instance and started to run the Diploma course in Homeopathy (DMS)        Unfortunately, in 1971, on account of the serious chaotic social and political turmoil in Howrah, the college was shifted temporarily to the small accommodation of the chamber of Dr. B. N. Chakrabarty at 62/1, Netaji Subhas Road, Howrah.
      On April 14, 1972, the college started functioning in its own building with 400 students, 6 big rooms, an OPD and 30 beds on a one bigha land at 1, G. T. Road (S), Howrah 1 with the help of the donation by Mahesh Bhattacharyya & Co., ..more>>